Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wearing Your Wedding Ring

I've started exploring the infidelity blogosphere a bit more lately, and found a great post by the Lazy Philosopher on Wedding Rings.

I always tried to remove my ring when Tiggy and I got together, not because I was hiding anything but as a mark of respect for her. Wearing the ring says to every waiter and waitress, "I'm married". And to anybody observing us, it wouldn't take long to figure out, "Not to each other." The point isn't that I care what they think, but she might care. Anyway it's not up to me to assume that she doesn't care.

Originally my intention was to keep all thoughts of my marriage out of our relationship. I think that's an excellent policy, but must admit that I failed badly at it. Subject for another post ...

When Tiggy and I went away for several days together I wore my undergrad class ring in place of the wedding ring. I did this to make the untanned, smooth and hairless spot on my finger less obvious; again, the point wasn't to hide anything, just to avoid making it an issue.

Finally, I confess that there were two times when I forgot and left it on. Both times Tiggy busted me for it. And the second time was the night she called it quits.
Bad timing, Apollo, but very symbolic.

2 comments:

Lavender Fields said...

Personally i think you should of left it on from the start.No point either of you hiding the fact.I had a man last week phone his mrs while he was in bed with me.I wasn't too sure what to make of that!!!

Apollo Unchained said...

He just picked up the phone and called her? Well some people do get off on that, but personally I would consider it an insult to the woman I'm with.

As for the ring, I don't think it's a question of hiding the fact that I'm married. It's a question of not rubbing my date's nose in it. She may not want to advertise to her friend the waitress that she's dating a married man. More importantly, it's not up to me to decide that for her.

So it's really just a matter of showing her a little respect.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites You Comment, I Follow